Friday, July 4, 2008

A Hopeful Independence Day

I searched and searched for the right photo for today. What would it be? Something essentially Pasadenian as well as American? Look what Clueless in Boston posted. Perfect, no?

Or would I post something more global? I was moved by Eric's post at Paris Daily Photo, reflecting the thrill of new freedom hard-won, and his kind mention of the American hostages. (click link then scroll to top.)

New York City Daily Photo has another good post—a protest! (A revolution. How quintessentially American.)

In the case of America's Fourth of July celebration, the word "independence" has a broad definition. From immigrants scratching out a living to the wealthy who've made it and everyone in between, we all have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not to mention free speech. These rights are worth protecting. We all agree on that. We don't always agree on how.

Life has changed since I was a kid. Everything's global now and we're not going back to the old days. The one thing you can be sure will always happen is change. Change can be a very good thing.

So I posted a hopeful photo. I'm hopeful for a future where we can work things out not just as a nation, but as a world.

15 comments:

ben wideman said...

Bravo, wonderful words spoken with today's post! Have a great holiday Friday!

Victor said...

I've looked at all the Independence Day photos so far and yours really works for me especially together with your text. The American people are among the world's most generous and we all hope you have better leadership in the near future. Happy 4th from Canada!

Anonymous said...

There are so many choices to make for a day like this one has been. I think this is one of the best photographs I have seen.

It is very encouraging and your photography is spot on.

I really admire your selection of what to photograph and your critical eye for composition, lighting and texture.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Lindsey said...

To be honest I wouldn't want to sit under a tree with very few leaves on a sunny day.

Knoxville Girl said...

Happy 4th, Petrea. Great post, and yes the sun through trees is uplifting for the soul; this is a very Zen holiday, then.

John Sandel said...

Democratic freedoms infiltrate civilization in capillary fashion—how like the twigs of a tree: each new bud tender with hope, growing skyward from history's darkest ground.

Petrea Burchard said...

Ha! My first two comments today from Canadians! You're our brothers and sisters, of course. Thanks for your thoughts. Of course I like it when people agree with me.

Thank you, Abe!

Not today, Lindsey, you'll need the shade.

K-Girl, I hope it's a good one for you.

Thanks for the poetry, Bernie.

Eki said...

Hi Petrea, thank you for visiting my blog and the kind words you wrote.

Btw, hope, I think, is what the American Revolution is all about: Hope of a better order of the world, equality, liberty, justice, and happiness. Your picture of the sun peering through the branches of the tree fittingly symbolizes that hope.

Happy Independence Day. May the spirit of day as embodied in the preamble of your Constitution lives on and become the beacon of our fellow humankinds seeking hope for a better future.

Lindsey said...

Believe me, my air conditioner is bah-lasting! *nod nod*

Lynette said...

I agree with Ben Wideman's comment, 100 percent!

Portland Oregon Daily Photo

Clueless in Boston said...

Very nice sentiments for a Fourth of July.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Echo your senitments, for the world globally and not just America. he optimistic sunshine peepeing through the trees is a gentle message to us all.

marley said...

Here's hoping.

Anonymous said...

In our current situations, happy is a hard word to say. Your integrity is admirable, Petrea.
A hopeful Independence Day to you too.

Petrea Burchard said...

Dina, thank you. That's especially meaningful, coming from you.