Saturday, February 4, 2012

Big Rock Candy

Toward the end of the day when it's nearly dusk here in the flatlands, the mountains north of Pasadena get a pinky-orange glow from sun still warming their folded slopes. It only lasts a few minutes (more than five, fewer than ten) so you have to pay attention.

I grew up in Illinois. It's flat there. Your eyes can go for miles without running into so much as a hill. Living here is a constant marvel--mountains! ocean! desert! And every time I look north I feel blessed, especially when the mountains are pink.

I'll tell you this, too: visits to Illinois, which don't happen often enough, bring just as much wonderment. When nothing obstructs your vision, it's amazing how much you can see.

14 comments:

Dina said...

Ahh yes, seeing a scene like you show us or the magical Alpenglow in the Alps was my dream as a kid growing up in flat Chicago.
Hey, and back then we sang "The Big Rock Candy Mountain."

Shell Sherree said...

Beautiful, Petrea. Even more special because of its fleeting nature.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

My mom was from Chicago, never mentioned the song Dina mentioned...I do know my mom went crazy-happy when I gave her a bunch of lilacs, she said that was what she missed when she was in Chicago.

Birdman said...

That sun tipping the edge way off is exciting... I bet.

Anonymous said...

So true.

Petrea Burchard said...

Alpenglow. I wonder if we get to use that word here or if it's only for the Alps.

I had thought Big Rock Candy Mountain was a depression-era hobo song, but Wikipedia says it's older.

Bellis said...

The Swiss Alpenglueh is pinker because the sun's reflected off the snow-capped Alps, but I think our San Gabriels put on a good show as well. It's very brief, but you caught it at its peak. Lovely photo.

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, Bellis. Alpenglueh is an excellent word.

alex said...

"nom". that's what cool young people say nowadays to delicious stuff. like rock candy.

in other perspectives, this is a beautiful shot.

Susan Campisi said...

Oh, yes. I love that time of day when the mountains turn pink.

Margaret said...

What a great picture, but it is reminding me anew how much I am missing the rain.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm happy to hear "nom" used in relation to one of my pictures, Alex!

Yep. We could use some rain, as always. We did have some not long ago but if we don't get more soon I might have to run my sprinklers.

Katie said...

What a treat to be in the right place to catch this colorful event. I lived in the mid-west for many years and although I agree there's something special about all that open space, I much prefer having hills and ocean nearby.

Petrea Burchard said...

I suppose I do, too, Katie. It's why I stay here. But when I get back to the middle of the country I get a feeling that goes for miles. Maybe it's nostalgia.