Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Guest Author: Des Zamorano

You may remember when Des Zamorano was the first Guest Author here on Living Vicuriously, back in 2011 when it was Pasadena Daily Photo. Desiree Zamorano is a Pushcart-nominated writer. Her previous novel, Human Cargo, was Latinidad's Mystery Pick of the Year. The Amado Women (Cinco Puntos Press) will be released May 2014. Please welcome Des Zamorano:


As a writer, I wonder lots of things. Who or what is behind those kids who traipse door to door with overpriced candy? How do people get caught up in Ponzi schemes? As I drive around the San Gabriel Valley, I ponder what is going on in the homes of the affluent as well as the humble. I day dream awake.

Ever see "The Bad Seed"? I think about what that little girl would have been like when she hit puberty. In Modern Cons you'll meet Claire, who answers that question for me.

I think about the children of con artists, and when Bernie Madoff’s son killed himself, it struck me just how very hard it could be.

Modern Cons is a novel of psychological suspense, featuring Jackie Paz, a young woman trying to break out on her own, and break free from the venomous grip of her incarcerated con-artist mother. Despite her background Jackie grew up straight, honest and is tentatively getting her world in order, working as a transporter of troubled teens. It’s after a tragic death that her job collapses and Jackie’s mother decides it’s time for a family reunion. 

Modern Cons (Lucky Bat Books) is available at Amazon and for all ebook platforms at Smashwords. According to Dianne Emley, LA Times best-selling author [and long-time friend of this blog], "Family inflicts the deepest cuts in this compelling psychological thriller."

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know the author, but the book cover (if it is the book cover) is truly appealing.

Petrea Burchard said...

It is indeed the cover, JM. The book is an ebook only at this point. I just added the Amazon link.

LONDONLULU said...

Always nice to learn of a new (to me) author & this looks very compelling. Thanks for sharing with us today, Petrea and Des.

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great book! I, too, used to wonder about that little girl in "The Bad Seed".

Karen said...

Love that cover! Congratulations Des!!

Petrea Burchard said...

Here's what I love about this cover: it tells you we're talking about a woman and crime. It would tell you that even without the title information there. Plus it's snappy and smart, which gives you an idea of Des' voice.

Margaret said...

Oh! I'm so excited about this. I can't wait to read it. Now I know what to get my mystery lovers for Christmas.

Petrea Burchard said...

Margaret, as you point out, books make great gifts!

Anonymous said...

Tantalizing. And I'm sure the innards are just as good as the outtards.

Bellis said...

Des's last book was great, so I'm sure this one will be just as good, if not better.

Petrea Burchard said...

And she has another one coming out this spring.

Desiree said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and thank you Petrea for the opportunity!

Petrea Burchard said...

Desiree, thanks for contributing!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Dang it - I had a chance to pick up a NOOK at Barnes and Noble for 39.99 but I figured it wouldn't support my friends books. If you publish through Smashwords, it does.



Petrea Burchard said...

I'm not sure how that works. I thought Nook was specific to Barnes & Noble purchases, but I could be wrong. I covered my bases and published on all the sites.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and very best wishes to the hard workers. Getting your stuff out, made, happening. That's the thing! Out of your head and into orbit. Zoomy Zamorano >>>