Sunday, July 18, 2010

Honoring the Best in Business

Last Friday I attended the 11th Annual Women in Business Legislative Update and Awards Luncheon--not my normal milieu, as I work in the arts. But if you've been following Pasadena Daily Photo you may remember I attended a Business Boot Camp at the Women's City Club of Pasadena. An artist has to be a business person after all.

Business Boot Camp was created by CPA and Financial Planner Donna Chaney, pictured at left. At Boot Camp, women participated in bi-weekly workshops led by a variety of business leaders from bankers to entrepreneurs to marketers, and even ourselves when we had skills to share. We got so much out of it a few of us decided to nominate Donna for this year's Empowerment Award, and she got it!

Donna's unique idea, and her dedication to making the experience available, empowered many local women to start a new business, enhance an existing business or bring more viable practices to our work. Donna deserves her award and many of her Boot Campers were there to cheer when she received it.

With Donna is Tamika Farr, Executive Director of the YWCA Pasadena-Foothill Valley, who was honored as an Outstanding Non-Profit Executive Director. Under Ms. Farr's direction, the YWCA has expanded and increased by 20% the number of community members it serves, increased community partnerships by 50% and procured new program funding resources. I haven't actually met Tamika. She and Donna were talking, I took the photo then she disappeared. I think she likes me.

The luncheon was presented by State Senate District 21, State Assembly District 43 and State Assembly District 44 and hosted by Senator Carol Liu and Assemblymember Anthony Portantino, both of whom welcomed the huge crowd with brief speeches. I think they knew the main attraction was the awards.

25 outstanding businesswomen were honored, and it was inspiring to cheer them on and witness their triumph. One woman can do many things--build a business, build a family and/or build a skyscraper--and when a woman achieves the heights in her field it makes us all look good.

10 comments:

Shell Sherree said...

Congratulations to Donna ~ such a fine idea! And congrats for nominating Donna in the first place. That's great initiative. Sounds like an uplifting occasion, Petrea.

Petrea Burchard said...

Yeah, it was exciting. Many of our local lights were shining bright.

Susan Campisi said...

Business Boot Camp - what a great idea. Wonderful that you nominated Donna and she won. Kudos all around!

Susan C said...

I was at one of the YWCA's tables to honor Tamika. I think they did a good job of selecting inspiring, deserving women for the awards.

Petrea Burchard said...

Susan, Boot Camp was a blast and a major bonding experience. I'd recommend it to anyone and I believe they'll be doing it again.

Susan C- I thought you must be there, knowing how active you are at the YWCA, but that room was so packed (and noisy!) I never found you!

Margaret said...

Fantastic! Both women sound great. Glad you were there to cheer.

pasadenapio said...

I was supposed to go but ended up going to San Diego to take care of some family business. Thanks for sharing this.

Petrea Burchard said...

Margaret, it was like a whole banquet room filled with goddesses.

Ann, I'm sorry you couldn't be there. one goddess missing! I hope everything's okay on the home front.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to business and congratulations to all women involved. Just one question. Are there any Republicans in Pasadena?

Petrea Burchard said...

Very funny, Anonymous. You may get the impression that there are no Republicans in Pasadena if mine's the only Pasadena blog you read. But I've come across blogs around here way to the right of mine, though they may be more extreme than mere Republicans.

So for you, I Googled Pasadena CA Republican Party. You can see what I came up with.