Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Measure CC Forum

Longfellow School

At the City Council meeting I attended three weeks ago, the council chamber was crowded with citizens eager to learn the fate of Hahamongna Watershed Park. But before we could discuss that there were other items on the agenda. One was whether or not the council should recommend the passing of Measure CC to benefit Pasadena schools.

Measure CC is a parcel tax that levies $120 per year on each taxable parcel of property for five years. If passed, it would raise about $7 million a year for those five years. The money would be used in the classroom, not for school maintenance or repairs (that was measure TT).

The Council, after citizen comment and a brief debate, voted unanimously to support the parcel tax. The council chamber erupted in applause.

I don't have kids. Why should I spend ten bucks a month on Pasadena's schools? We have enough rocket scientists in this town. Hell, there's practically a rocket scientist on every block. What Pasadena needs is more juvenile delinquents and petty criminals. And hookers! I never see any hookers around here. We don't have a single prostitute on our block. There's a juvenile delinquent around the corner, and he comes all the way down the street to steal bikes from the neighbor kids with absolutely no competition whatsoever.

Some people say our property values will go down if our schools don't keep up. Well, that's a boon, isn't it? If property values go down then maybe I can pay lower property taxes and put a little less money into the Los Angeles County coffers. 'Cause LA sure doesn't need the money. And while we're at it, neither does the State of California.

Oh--and the school libraries are going to close. Well, nyah, nyah, nyah. When I was a kid I had to walk all the way down the hall in my clean, gorgeous school to check out a book from the library. All the way down the friggin' hall! By myself! Without a sweater! In winter! Why do these kids need to read, anyway? Didn't we already decide they were going to grow up to be criminals? I mean, I suppose we could give them jobs as janitors and busboys, but how many janitors is Pasadena going to need when nobody wants to move here because the schools are so crappy?

Question: How many rocket scientists does it take to clean up the Rose Bowl after a U2 concert?
Answer: Doesn't matter. Even a thousand of them will never get the job done because those people have to count and categorize everything.

Why complicate things? Let's populate Pasadena with a citizenry that can't count.



Longfellow PTA is hosting a forum on the parcel tax on Feb. 24 at 6:30 PM in the auditorium, 1065 E. Washington Blvd., Pasadena.
PUSD Board President Tom Selinske, as well as Darla Dyson of Invest in PUSD Kids, will be available to answer questions.
This forum is open to everyone in the community. Refreshments, childcare and Spanish translation will be available.
For more information contact Steve Cole, president@ptalongfellow.org.

24 comments:

John Sandel said...

Hey, that solves the problem of voting, too. Why bother if mine literally can't be counted?

Dina said...

Love it when you get up on that soapbox.

David Ocker said...

1) It's dangerous to assume you live in a world where people can identify sarcasm.

2) Hookers in Pasadena? When I first came here (over a dozen years ago) you could see them on Colorado, generally East of Allen. Haven't seen any in some time.

Shell Sherree said...

So if Boz wants to further his education, he's on his own?

Janet M Kincaid said...

Hey, I'm all for more funding for prisons and less funding for schools, because there isn't a study out there that shows that education reduces crime and recidivism. As for prostitution, I always wanted to be one when I grew up, but instead my stupid, tax-paying parents made me go to college and get an education. To add insult to injury, I sort of liked it so much, I went on and got a masters degree. Now look at where that got me: employed. Sheesh. I'll tell you, it's all a big conspiracy.

And to think, I coulda been a rocket scientist.

Janet M Kincaid said...

P.S. The year I graduated from George Mason University, then-governor George Allen (later disgraced Senator George Allen of "macaca" fame) announced he was increasing funding to prisons and cutting funding to schools and universities. He spoke at my graduation that year. We boo'ed him.

And now, back to my employment already in progress...

Great post, Petrea!

Virginia said...

Looks like you're breathing down Hiker's neck today girl! Good one!
V

PS Who you callin a hooker???

Latino Heritage said...

Janet's comment reminds me of where we are now in the state. The governor, again and again, says one thing while his pen is sweeping again and again on documents that counter what he is saying.
PUSD has made significant strides in the past couple of years; this despite loss of funding from the state level. It would be sad to see them lose that momentum.

Petrea Burchard said...

I don't need to say anything. You all are saying it. (Y'all.) Docker, thanks for that #1 statement, just in case. I've heard about #2 but that was before my time (not that long ago, I'm thinking?)

TheChieftess said...

Laugh out loud funny Petrea!!! You go girl!!!

Trish said...

now where IS that "LIKE" button?!?! ;-)

Petrea Burchard said...

That's over on Facebook where I never update my "status" because I can never think of anything pithy to say.

Desiree said...

The kids should have been smart enough to be raised in San Marino.
sheesh--

Anonymous said...

I understand your point, but what I don’t understand is the inflexibility of moving money from non-essential grants (Arroyo “improvements” spring to mind) to essential projects and services. I wonder how much money will go to outside consultants this year, and how many text books that money would buy.

TheChieftess said...

Hiker...a lot of grants etc. in government are "earmarked" for one thing in particular...no matter what the financial situation of the rest of the city, county or state, the designated moneys cannot be used for anything else...it's one of the bains of existence for government employees...we as the voters often vote these measures in, without really knowing the long term ramifications. It's part of the reason the state is in so much trouble right now. If it's a private grant, they are generally designated for one purpose only...so by law, those moneys often can't be touched...

Petrea Burchard said...

Like measure TT. We voted funding for school building improvements (witness the photo!) that cannot be used in the classrooms, for example. Funds from measure CC could not be used for anything BUT educating the children.

If you click on the link at Invest in PUSD Kids, scroll down to Measure CC FAQ and click, you'll get an overview PDF. The measure also provides for a citizen (not government) oversight committee to monitor the funds.

Trish said...

...nothing pithy to say, eh?? ;-) riiight.

still lol'ing here as we listen to friends in SF who are wondering if they are getting pink slipped with 900 jobs going MIA for next year potentially---gotta laugh somehow.

Petrea Burchard said...

Yes, we've been listening to the LA debate as well. If you asked me I'd take the 10% cut over a layoff, but either way it's a tough choice.

Bryan S. said...

Anyone who believes that this "five year" tax hike would cease to exist after that term should have their head examined. Look at the .25% increase in sales tax years ago here in California that was supposedly a "temporary" tax hike to aid in earthquake relief. 20+ years and it's still with us like a leach. It's about time the residents put a stop to this never ending taxation that is driving people out of California by the thousands. Our teachers in this state are the highest paid in the nation. Let's take steps to get their salaries in alignment with other states with comparable cost of living indexes and THEN consider desperate measures like CC.

Unknown said...

Go to our blog at http://yesonmeasurecc.com for some of the success stories of PUSD.

Unknown said...

The pasadena school system has been crap all my life. Parcel tax or no parcel tax, there will be no difference. The results MUST come first before the cash. The San Marino school district is doing something like the parcel tax. People are grumbling but in the end they pay it - it's far cheaper than private school and they've given the parents results first.

If you want to see hooker, come to my neighborhood. I live in Chapman Woods on the east side of Pasadena. The problem has been here for 40+ years and just like the schools, there's a lot of talk but nothing changes.

Petrea Burchard said...

David, I hope you're wrong but I welcome your opinion here. Thanks for commenting.

I haven't spent much time photographing in Chapman Woods. You remind me I need to do so. Interesting.

Gaga 4 Dada said...

The results are in Measure CC barely got a simple majority, nowhere near the 2/3 threshold needed for passage.

Petrea Burchard said...

Hi Gaga4Dada, thanks. Yes, I heard. It's too bad. We shall have our 20+ million dollar cut and the kids are the ones who'll suffer.