Saturday, November 15, 2014

Girl Friday Book Club at Kidd's Jewelry Heist


Best event ever! I was invited to speak about Camelot & Vine with the Girl Friday Book Club. I knew it was going to be fun when I walked into Kidd's Jewelry Heist and saw this display.

Girl Friday Personal Assistant Services is just what it sounds like: a small, personal assistant company so loaded with creativity that I don't know where to begin. It wasn't just the food, or how artfully it was presented, or the wonderful people, or the venue. It was all these things and more.

And what a venue! Kidd's Jewelry Heist is charming for many reasons, not least of which is the decor, and most of which is owner Kelly Kidd himself. I wouldn't call him a shopkeeper, I'd call him a curator. He and his partner Redd Carter have created a cozy space where your imagination is invited to create whatever it wants to.

I grabbed a few photos of the place before the people came. 


 


Then I forgot about photos for a while. We met new people, drank wine, ate hand-crafted candies, and talked about anything and everything. When it came to talking about Camelot & Vine, I found a good-sized group of engaged and interesting women, great questions, and acceptance. Maybe it was the wine. If so, that was some amazing wine.


After book talk, we picked out our favorite charms and made "medieval" bracelets! That's (L-R) Rebecca, Karie, Kat Ward from Hometown Pasadena, author Pam Tartaglio, co-hostess and creative talent Ellen Main, Kelly, and Redd.

Cindi Knight orchestrates it all. The business is her brain-child, and from what I can tell she's got a hell of a brain.


I regret that I didn't get a decent picture of Cindi, who created Girl Friday Personal Assistant Services and who organizes these book club events. But I got a good picture of Kelly (above), and he got one of me (below).

Many thanks to our hosts Cindi, Ellen, Kelly and Redd, and to everyone who came. I had a fantastic time and I hope you did, too.

Update 11/18:
Tada! Here's the bracelet Kelly and Redd helped me make:
photo by John Sandel
You can see my little dragon and my crown and my fuzzy thing. On the underbeneath side I have a feather and a pail, both made of the same material as the crown and dragon.

11 comments:

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Glad it went well. No wonder you love that place. I do to now that I get the full view. Is it a place thats opened everyday....like a shop?

Petrea Burchard said...

Yes, PA. Here's the deal:
PARLOR HOURS
Tues-Fri 11-6
Sat 10-6
Sun 11-5
MON CLOSED

You can also reserve for private parties.

William Kendall said...

It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's quite an establishment inside!

Anonymous said...

I wanna see your bracelet.

Petrea Burchard said...

I did, William. And it's such an unusual place.

I'll show you, Karin! I have four charms and a little tufty thing.

Anonymous said...

Someone called your little tufty thing a tribble. Cute. I picked real Camelot-themed charms.

Petrea Burchard said...

Other people called my tufty thing all sorts of things, but I'll stick with tribble. Besides that I picked Camelot-themed charms, too. You found the crown for me.

Ms M said...

Looks like a fun time!
I wanna see your bracelet, too...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful looking place, event and images!

Speedway said...


What a wonderful-looking place! It looks ideal for discussing Arthurian-themed books, or even a romantic tryst (that scene in Funny Girl -- "Isn't this the height of nonchalance, furnishing a bed in restaurants!)

Petrea Burchard said...

I've updated the post with a photo of the bracelet, for those who want to see.