Thursday, October 10, 2013

Stress

It's frustrating when other people hold the reins to my horse--other people who don't know how to ride. What I want to do is give my horse a gentle cluck and speed off, leaving the incompetents in the dust.

They say everyone has three jobs: their regular job, the upkeep of their home and the phone calls, paperwork and stress of trying to get other people to do their jobs (cable company, bank, etc.). Right now, the third on this list has blossomed into three more jobs so I'm having, you know, that kind of week.

So yoga class is important.

This expansive, upstairs room at the Pacific Asia Museum is where I practice yoga. It's lunch hour yoga, designed to return you to work refreshed, and without the stinky armpits. The class meets only once a week and it fills up, so get there early if you can. Just try not to stress about it.

*****
Camelot & Vine will be featured on Free Book Friday this upcoming week. If you'd like to win a free, signed, paperback copy of Camelot & Vine, here's the direct link. From October 12th to October 18th, all you have to do to enter is comment on the post.
I'm giving away 5 copies so it'll be a snap.



14 comments:

Katie said...

What a beautiful room to do yoga! (Actually, since I don't do yoga, I've already redecorated it in my mind as my new apartment.) Best of luck de-stressing!

Petrea Burchard said...

It's a great room. I love looking at the clouds from upside-down.

Petrea Burchard said...

By the way, Katie, have you thought of curtains?

LONDONLULU said...

I could really use a lunch session there this week! (Argh to work stresses). I remember you mentioning this place in the past, what a blessing to have this around.

Bellis said...

This room looks so restful. If I had it to myself, I would relax and refresh. But even yoga's too competitive for me: what if I'm not doing it right? What if the teacher says I have to try harder? Give me the wilderness and a dog, with no other human within earshot.

Petrea Burchard said...

Lulu, yes, arggh to work stresses!

Bellis, any yoga teacher who says you have to try harder is doing it wrong. But I do like your wilderness idea.

Book Dragon said...

The room looks delightful, I'd like one in my house. Well two really. One for yoga and one for bookshelves :-)

sorry about the stress

Trish said...

Sounds like you and I are having the same kind of week. Damn, was hoping I was the only one!

Yoga tends to be more stressful for me than relaxing. I've even tried yoga for old farts. I'm not good at being a human pretzel.

But I am good at mindfulness! Has been the only way to get thru some things like PET scans, MRIs, or ultrasounds. Breathing in. Breathing out. Bringing it back to center.

Love the idea of gallivanting around nature and the bookshelves! Well, ok, not in the same breath, but I think we all understand.

Here's to this weekend and next week being better for everyone!

Petrea Burchard said...

It would make a nice library, Book Dragon. Shelves in the middle, so as not to block the windows.

Hear here, Trish. This stuff is making me old before my time, in which case the human pretzel thing will be off my schedule.

Anonymous said...

I like that about the three jobs...

Ms M said...

It looks like a perfect room in which to do yoga. And I could see nice bookshelves in there, too, with comfy reading chairs.

Petrea Burchard said...

As of this moment, things haven't gotten any better but I'm freaking out less.

Patrizzi Intergarlictica said...

I was wondering about wandering over there... it's so close. I just can't stop the jobs, jobs, jobs.

BTW, remember that post you did awhile back about the mysterious tower bldg in the bushes near Brookside? I wonder if it was a remnant of the prison camp?

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/general-news/20130120/arroyo-seco-prison-camp-revelation-created-neighborhood-bombshell

Petrea Burchard said...

I remember the post. The tower could absolutely be part of the prison, though there's no mention of it in Sid's article. It would be easier for me to find the tower in the Arroyo than find my photo of it, however.

I'm glad you have jobs, jobs, jobs.