Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Information

Union Station, Los Angeles

Every once in a while we have business to catch up on. On which to catch up. Straggling details. Fragments.

The annual lighting ceremony on Christmas Tree Lane will be this Saturday at 6pm, preceded by a vendor fair in the Altadena Library parking lot at 2. Altadena craftspeople don't generally try to sell you potholders their kids made at school. We're talking fine stuff. I'm going.

I enjoy the Arroyo Verde Awards, presented each year by the Council of Arroyo Seco Organizations. The Council recognizes the year's heroes in the preservation of the Arroyo. This year the ceremony will be held on December 12th at 7pm, at La Casita del Arroyo. I don't know yet who all the awardees are, but I know that Dianne Patrizzi, Patrizzi Intergarlactica, Mademoiselle Gramophone, our Doo Dah Queen, who marched in the Doo Dah parade as Princess Haha (and I don't know how many other personalities she has but these are all good ones), will receive the award for Best Activist. You can come to the awards! It's low-key fun and I love seeing people recognized for their important work.

Friend and photographer Kevin McCollister has a post up at 591PhotographyBlog. If Kevin isn't the finest photographer working in LA today, it's because Ansel Adams came back to life and moved to a downtown loft.

Did I mention this? I have a new book review up at Hometown Pasadena, of Kim Fay's The Map of Lost Memories. I might have mentioned it. I'm on new migraine pills. They are my current excuse for everything.

Some Camelot & Vine news:

One:
I said I'd keep the Camelot Where You Are photo contest going until Camelot & Vine is published. As you may know, it's not published yet. Two contest entries wait in my inbox for a third and hopefully a fourth to join them in deadly friendly competition. Take a picture of Camelot Where You Are and send it in (details here). I post it on the blog, everybody votes, and if you win I'll send you a free copy of Camelot & Vine (when it's published, which it will be. See Two).

Two:
Camelot & Vine will be published dammit! (in case you were wondering). I had hoped to have it out in time for Christmas--hell, I had hoped to have it out in October--but obviously, I had no idea how long it would take. January? This is now the plan, and it seems doable (as did October and December, once upon a time). The book has been edited and typeset, the cover's almost ready, and I can't imagine what else will hold it back.

But what the hell, let's come up with some scenarios!

14 comments:

Shell Sherree said...

Worldwide ink shortage? {I do hope not, but good idea to come up with some scenarios, Petrea ~ the literary equivalent of us wishing you to break a leg, perhaps.}

There's always plenty happening over your way.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

oh, I bet the scenarios will be something else!.... and i am sure the excuses are ludicrous...

Susan Campisi said...

A character in C&V is plotting against you? January would be a fine publication month.

Thank you for all this important information!

Bellis said...

Perfect photo today! It's a busy month, what with shopping, wrapping, mailing, more shopping, craft fairs, award ceremonies, Xmas parties, and City council meetings (next Monday, to discuss the 710), so I'm grateful for this delightfully worded aide-memoire.

Petrea Burchard said...

Good morning! I'm getting a late start, but though my eyes may not be bright my tail is bushy. (A puzzle for some international visitors).

I like the scenarios. More, please! and everyone should try to use a cool word like "aide-memoire."

December is crazy. I have something on my calendar almost every evening. I doubt I'll attend everything, though it all interests me. But mon dieu, ce n'est pas possible.

LOLfromPasa said...

I am so pleased to read your update and I KNOW it will all work out perfectly even though it seems challenging to deal with the time factors. My guess is that there is someone out there with tons of influence who likes all the 'Camelot Where You Are' photos and wants to publish them but needs a few more...! What a coffee table book that would make :). BTW...super photo today.

Ms M said...

You could ask Margaret for a "goddess of publishing" -- perhaps she (the goddess) could speed up the process.

Lots of wonderful things going on there; many I wish I could attend. Oh well, c'est la vie!

BTW, Kevin McCollister's photos are superb!

Petrea Burchard said...

Thank you, LOL! I know it will work out, too, and I'll be glad, and everything will be fine! It's really going well, and I'm learning just how long these things take.

Ms. M, what a great idea! And I agree about Kevin's photos. If he weren't such a lovely man it wouldn't be as much fun to share them with you.

Book Dragon said...

now where did I put that map.....

Petrea Burchard said...

Har!

Katie said...

I would very much like to attend the craft fair and tree lighting; sounds like just the ticket to get me into the holiday spirit! Thanks for the link to Kevin at 591. His photos of LA are amazing. I know C&V will be published soon, but as a Murphy I'm well versed in the Law so hang in there if it takes a little longer!

Anonymous said...

I like this photo muchly. Who can resist information?

Petrea Burchard said...

Katie, I know I'll at least be getting my handmade soap at the fair, from Altadenish Anne Louise Bannon. And I'm not giving that as gifts. Thanks for the support, I'm enjoying the process, it's just a long one!

Hiker, I can mention a LOT of people. But I love information more than bacon.

TheChieftess said...

Fingers crossed...baited breath...(January's too long to hold my breath)...Looking forward to a good read next to the pellet stove on a cozy, snowy, day!!!