Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Camelot Where You Are #23, Julie

I'm all for a trip to London, aren't you?

Julie sent in her entry, saying, "I was in London this summer for the Olympics and when I saw your photo contest I just knew I had to have at least one picture from my trip that fit the bill.

"Since the Tower of London was already entered, I decided to go a different route. I can't remember where exactly this picture was taken (my friend actually snapped the picture, must give credit where it's due!), but attached you'll find a picture of a dragon statuette somewhere in downtown London.

"A dragon in the middle of Britain? What's more Camelot than that!?"

I'm not going to quibble. If I remember correctly (and I may or may not), there's a dragon or two in Le Morte d'Artur, or at least the Mabinogion. No? Yes? It matters not a whit.

Thank you, Julie!

**********

Camelot & Vine updates here!

Camelot Where You Are contest details here!

Voting this weekend!

Exclamation points!

17 comments:

Dina said...

I like this dragon! And all the other statues that we will never ever see here in Jerusalem.

Petrea Burchard said...

From what I've seen on your blog, Dina, you have lots of wonderful statues in Jerusalem. But they have a superb supply in London, too.

Susan Campisi said...

Cool dragon! I'm always up for a trip to London.

Bellis said...

These dragons guard the entrances to the City of London, perhaps to keep St. George out? Glad to see them repainted so strikingly. I can't work out where this one is, but the Grecian temple behind reminds me of the Bank of England. Dive will know.

Dragons are a national symbol of Wales. I think Merlin got rid of the dragon that was in the hill beneath the castle Uther Pendragon, Arthur's guardian, was building. So they're very Camelot.

Petrea Burchard said...

Yes, weren't there two, a red one and a white one?

TheChieftess said...

Never can have too many dragons!!!

LOLfromPasa said...

I'm impressed!

Book Dragon said...

I've been thinking knights and castles all this time....I've got lots of dragons at home to show you!

dive said...

Brilliant! Well spotted, Julie (or Julie's friend).

Petrea Burchard said...

Dive, do you know where in London this was taken?

Julie said...

Glad you guys like the picture! I really wish I could remember where this was taken, but we moved so quickly around London it's just impossible to remember. I know we were around Trafalgar Square a lot, so maybe near there?

Petrea Burchard said...

Everywhere in London is so wonderful (at least everywhere I've been), it almost doesn't matter!

Ms M said...

Ooooo, I like this dragon!

Margaret said...

Well, I am never going to win. But it's not about me.

Adele said...

Love this. (Margaret, I have to tell you, it's the most fun I've ever had losing dismally!)

Petrea Burchard said...

He's a fine one, Ms. M.

Margaret, it's about you for one whole day, this coming Friday.

Adele, that's so nice of you to say.

Katie said...

Definitely very Camelot! I saw at least two of these dragons last week in London, and vaguely recall seeing this one not too far from St. Paul's (but can't quite remember where). I know I'll be looking for Camelot everywhere for a long time!