Saturday, September 29, 2012

Calendar


Madison School

I hope you came by to vote for your favorite of the past week's Camelot Where You are photo contest entries. The poll is at the upper left of the blog.

We've been wasting spending so much time on contest frivolity that we almost missed some important events. So today, as a community service, here's a partial list:

Today!
September 29
Put the Fork in Hunger
I hope you're reading this early, because the free pancake breakfast at Farnsworth Park at Lake and Mount Curve in Altadena is today, 7:30 to 11:00 a.m. It's sort of not free because you should bring non-perishable food items or financial donations, all of which will go directly to Union Station Homeless Services in Pasadena. And you'll get pancakes!

Also Today!
September 29
Muir Ranch

Tomorrow!
September 30
Wiggle Waggle Walk
Pasadena Humane Society's super annual fundraiser where the canine chic meet, greet and even compete. Sweet!

October 2
NFL at the Rose Bowl?
Personally, I think it would be a disaster for the Arroyo. What do you think? The Recreation and Parks Commission will hold a special meeting on Tuesday, October 2nd at 6:30 PM at the Rose Bowl Media Center, 1001 Rose Bowl Drive in Pasadena. Park in Lot F and enter through the auto gate to the left of Gate A. The draft EIR is available here. Public comment ends at close of business on October 8th.

October 7
Bike the Arroyo Seco!
Starting at Hahamongna Watershed Park at 8am (I'll be there a bit earlier), ride the Arroyo to downtown with fellow riders in support of an Arroyo Seco bikeway and healthy transportation alternatives.

Building a Better Altadena
"Studies show that Walmart hurts jobs because other businesses close when Walmart comes to town." Is this what we want just yards from Pasadena's city limits? Click the Building a Better Altadena link and find out what you can do.

The No 710 Freeway Extension and related No on Measure J issues are gaining support from state and local politicians. Definitely worth learning about, as these issues strongly affect our quality of life in Pasadena.

Be sure to vote! (Now, on the Camelot Where You Are contest, and in November, on all the other stuff.)

12 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The Wiggle Waggle looks like fun, wish our area would have one... I agree w/u on the 710 disaster...Its gotten a lot of press on tv and I hope there are petitions out on it...btw any celebs in the area who would have any clout in preventing this disaster? seems as tho a 'name' usually has some influence.

Petrea Burchard said...

I don't know, KBF. Our politicians have been pretty vocal, even Adam Schiff. Seems the only people who want this thing are on the Caltrans board, and not even all of them want it. I'm not sure how all this works.

Was just down by Huntington Beach yesterday and that whole part of southern California is torn up--miles and miles of it under construction. What isn't paved is going to be, and it is so ugly.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

@Petrea: the 170 that connects to the 5 is a mess as well.. the whole frwy system sucks... our 14 and 5 connectors have been worked on since last year or even before.. it looks like when the '94 quake hit us!. people still get confused when they see all the construction.. it makes me nervous driving thru it because the lines were swervy which threw us all off in the driving pattern we were use to... I use to love the 210 going eastbound and even that is congested during the weekend!. too many folks in Cali.

Bellis said...

This is very useful! I like your rhyme for the Wiggle Waggle Walkers. It's worth being there'd at 8:30 am to watch all the dogs leave for their walk - thousands of them, all different shapes and sizes. And that's just the owners.

Thee's also the Carnegie Observatory Open Day, Sunday from 2 to 5.

Petrea Burchard said...

KBF: I think freeways are an idea from the past. They no longer serve our needs. We've got to think forward to what will work in the future; freeways are right out of the 1950's.

Bellis, I forgot! And you reminded me! Also, I read somewhere that this weekend there's an open house at the Muir High School organic garden. Of course now I can't find that information.

Katie said...

Great looking school. I like that type of architectural style. So much going in the Pasadena area!

Petrea Burchard said...

The kids were out at recess right next to where I took it, Katie. I'd love to take pics of them but without parents' permission I'd probably be arrested.

Susan Campisi said...

Oh my, that is a very full calendar. I wish mine weren't already bursting at the seams. Thanks for the heads up on all these events.

Adele said...

First - love the photo! :) Of all of these, I'm most interested in the bike ride. But, I will probably not be able to get my lazy self over there that early... The Better Altadena website is really interesting. Good for Altadena - they are a city full of people that care. Finally, Bellis's mention of the Muir Garden reminded me that when I went to the canning class at Mother Moo, quite a few people were talking about being able to get regular produce from the "Muir Kids." I need to check that out. My brain is all full now - thanks!!!

Petrea Burchard said...

Me too, Susan. There's always so much going on around here.

Adele, I think we all have to take Walmart seriously. Altadena is part of us.

Adele said...

I agree completely. I'm an adamant no WalMart person, in general.

Petrea Burchard said...

I just learned about a cool Kickstarter project going on at Madison school, pictured on this post.

http://kck.st/R5P0KZ