Sunday, May 6, 2012

What Ho!

Yes, witches, warlocks, faeries, wenches, knights, lords and ladies, I visited the Renaissance Pleasure Faire yesterday and had a jolly good time. I enjoyed the jousting, the falconry, the pageantry, the meat pies and more. This party is wild.

RenFaire is very much up my alley, or rather, up my tiny, dark, piss-rank Elizabethan street. I love the costumes, the noise (well, not the noise), the bawdy jokes and the mead (I adore the mead). And here's the best part: I had a pre-paid ticket which I forgot to take with me, so I have to go again!

Which brings me to the contest we're having here on the blog today. One of the many Faire vendors gave me some discount admission coupons. I don't know why he did it but I LOVE him for it so I'll give him a plug even though he didn't ask for it. He's Jeff Price, a glass blower who makes the most beautiful things, including the Witch Balls above. (Faire vendors sell gorgeous, high-quality, hand-made items.) Thanks to Jeff, I'm sharing these discount coupons with you. The regular Faire gate price is $25 but you can get in for $15 with one of these babies. (Parking is an additional $10.) Since Faire ends on May 20th and it's only on weekends, I'm giving away all ten coupons today. That gives them time to get to you when I mail them on Monday.

So: please answer this question: In my novel, Camelot & Vine, what is the name of the character Casey Clemens plays in her TV commercials for the Gone! company?

Email the correct answer to me (the link is in my profile at top left). Please include your mailing address; that'll save us some time. I will not add you to a mailing list. (If you want to be on my mailing list I'd love to have you, just go to my website and opt in at the top right of any page under "Let's connect.") Anyone can enter. If by midnight Pacific time I receive more than ten correct answers, I'll put them all into a hat tomorrow and draw ten winners at random. If we have fewer, I'll give the extra coupons to my unsuspecting friends and neighbors.

By the way, I did touch the witch balls. So far, I'm good.

12 comments:

dive said...

That looks like too much fun, Petrea. And sunny, too!
I do hope the US starts exporting Renaissance Faires over here as I'd dearly like a matching pair of Warlock Balls.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I love those balls... :-)

Book Dragon said...

I love those balls too

might be a way to get my husband to take me

Petrea Burchard said...

Dive, there's a large contingent of Americans who want to be British. We play-act at it. By the end of the day yesterday everyone had English accents and some of them were pretty good.

Kalei, they are gorgeous, and the prices aren't bad. My friend bought the most beautiful spiral thingy where the balls spin in the breeze.

Hey, BD, should I change the rules? If I get only five entrants you win two coupons? Or make your husband enter and win two? Suggestions, please. Sundays are slow days on the blog and I would hate for these coupons to go to waste.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I may have touched those balls too - balls in a bowl, if Jeff was selling them at Art on Palm.

Petrea Burchard said...

Could have been him, he's located in Santa Ana.

Ms M said...

Looks like a great faire! And I want to touch those witch balls, too. They are enchanting....

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm excited to go again and have another look, Ms. M. Honestly, I expected a lot of expensive junk, but most of the items I saw for sale were hand made and of high quality, at prices that were not cheap but reasonable, considering the artisanship.

Bellis said...

What a shame I'm in England for the whole of May. I'd love to win your competition. Hope you get lots of entries.

Look at the blue sky in your photo! It's been cold and/or rainy in England ever since I arrived.

TheChieftess said...

Where is the Renaissance Faire these days??? I haven't been to one since it was in Agoura Hills!!!

Petrea Burchard said...

Saturday was the first sunny day we'd had in ages, Bellis. Things are looking up.

Chieftess, they've been holding it at the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale for at least the last two years. Before that, I attended one in Devore ages ago.

Margaret said...

I would play but all my weekends are busy. Too bad for me.