Sunday, October 2, 2011

Glimpse Her While You Can

Like most City Daily Photo bloggers, Laurie Allee didn't know when she started where Glimpses of South Pasadena would take her. I think blogging takes us each to a different place, but maybe that's not the right way to think about it. More likely it's the blogger herself who steers, driving the blog like the personally-designed and -constructed vehicle it is.

Laurie has driven her blog to a leadership role in her community--not a political one (although even South Pasadena elected officials showed up at Charlie's Coffee House yesterday to celebrate the opening of her photo exhibit, South Pas: Observed)--but a social one.

Glimpses of South Pasadena has become a local forum where people speak their minds. Laurie's email box is constantly filled with requests, questions, thanks and damnation. She started something big, something South Pasadena needed--a place to talk, and sometimes even to shout.

Laurie's at the forefront of the Save the Rialto movement and you'll find some of the most poignant photos and writings about this landmark are hers. In fact, if you want to find Laurie today you won't find her at Charlie's, although her photos will be there throughout October. Today you'll find her taking part in a symposium called Encore Rialto at the South Pasadena Library Community Room at 3PM.

Laurie has also steered her considerable writing talents into a popular column called Views from the Front Porch for South Pasadena Patch (her editor was at the reception, too).
And as she gains confidence behind the wheel there's no telling where else she'll drive this thing.

Anywhere. She can take it anywhere she wants to go.

22 comments:

ben wideman said...

So cool! Wish I could stop by to say hi.

dive said...

Hoorah for the power of blogging. Truly inspirational, Petrea.

Petrea Burchard said...

Hi Ben! We miss you! I know if you were here you'd stop by and support Laurie's show.

It is powerful, Dive, that's a good word. I know so many people in England now that I have an accent.

Susan Campisi said...

"Glimpse Her While You Can" - I love that. Love the photo too. Wish I'd been able to make it. South Pas is unexplored territory to me, but Laurie's exhibit is a great excuse to change that. I'll definitely check it out.

Petrea Burchard said...

You've got to check out South Pas. Each of the Denas has its own personality and South Pas is definitely its own self.

Laurie Allee said...

Aw shucks, P. You're going to make my head swell so big I won't be able to get through doors!

Thank you so much for this. And for coming to the reception last night.

Petrea Burchard said...

Aw, it was a blast! And I could have flown home on the caffeine.

Deb - Ginnels Gates and Ghosts said...

An inspirational example of what the art of blogging can achieve.

Many thanks for the kind welcome to City Daily Photo

Pasadena Adjacent said...

We love Laurie

Petrea Burchard said...

Hi Deb,
It's fitting that you should stop by today and see this post about Laurie. I hope you'll see your blog lead you to some interesting places.

Steve Scauzillo said...

My hat is off to Laurie. Her photos and her involvement are to be congratulated.

Petrea Burchard said...

PA, I don't know why "we love Laurie" got identified as spam but I found it. For heaven's sake, Blogger's spam finder is like some kind of over-zealous church lady today.
It was nice to see you and Mr. V there yesterday.

Steve, I daresay you're going in the same direction...

Bellis said...

Nice to see what Laurie looks like. Perhaps I'll recognize her when I'm in South Pasadena. I love her blog. Time to visit Charlie's Coffee House.

Shell Sherree said...

It's lovely to see Laurie with her gorgeous photography ~ not like being there, but it helps! The world is exponentially better for every Laurie we have. {And Petrea. And...}

Petrea Burchard said...

Bellis, this photo is a bit dark (I liked the artsy-ness of that, forgive me) so take a look at Laurie's headshot on her blog to get a good look at her. Silly me, I thought you two had met! She's tall, statuesque, and still has a bit of Texas in her voice.

...and Shell Sherree, and Bellis, and Ben and Dive and let's just go right on down the list.

Virginia said...

Oh this makes me so very happy. I love LA ( That's Laurie Allee) so much. We've been blog buds for a very long time. I'll be there soon and this exhibit needs to be on our So Pas agenda!!! Her photographs delight and her way with words is amazing.

The last time I was out there for the BLogorama, everywhere we went in So Pas, I recognized like was a native. The power of blogging.
xx LA

Thanks P for highlighting her here.
V

Laurie Allee said...

I love all y'all! (There's that bit o Texas.) the power of blogging? It's a powerful force for creating meaningful friendships with kindred spirits. :-)

Desiree said...

This is great!

TheChieftess said...

WooHoo!!! Wish I could've been there!!! See you all when V comes to town!!!

Anonymous said...

YAY!

Shanna said...

I'm bursting with PRIDE...that is Texas talk for pride, y'all.

Petrea Burchard said...

You've got good reason, Shanna.