Sunday, November 14, 2010

Devil's Mirror

Congratulations to Mister Earl! He's this week's winner of the PDP/PPM Books Contest. Like everyone else who entered, Mister Earl guessed correctly the answer to Friday's question: Benjamin Eaton named the Devil's Gorge.

Thanks to the generosity of Prospect Park Media, Mister Earl wins a brand spankin' new copy of Hometown Pasadena 2009-2010, the definitive guide to the San Gabriel Valley.

Benjamin Eaton was an early settler in our area and he was so much more; his genius for transporting water made it possible for settlement in the Dena. The first two sections of the History section of Wikipedia's Altadena article tell you more.

You'll forgive me one more shot of Ben Eaton's devil, I hope. (I hate to waste a good hike.) Here we are, standing across from where I took yesterday's shot, viewing the devil rock formation reflected in the water. In recent years this stream bed has been dry much of the year but we've already had rain this fall--early for us, but welcome.

I wonder if the devil ever looks at his reflection, contemplates his existence, considers his sins? Not that I believe in the devil. If I did, I'd be looking up his nose.

16 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the perspective of reflection, somehow showing details we might've missed otherwise.

Mister Earl said...

Interesting shot. At first, it looks like the post is upside down, and the plants that are overhanging your position look like they're growing up from the ground at the top of the picture. Very nice.

John Sandel said...

Hey, Earl! You won something! I hope it's cake.

wv: ponslum: n., the worst neighborhood in the pond. ["I don't go down to the ponslum since those algæ whistled at my sister."]

Petrea Burchard said...

I forgot to tell Earl what he won! Jeez. Back in a flash.

Petrea Burchard said...

Okay. Now it's for real. I edited the post. Mister Earl wins a book, J, but I hope he gets cake anyway.

Vanda said...

Now you're messing with my head!

Mister Earl said...

The Giants win the series, I win the Pasadena Daily Photo contest, what could possibly top this November? Luckily Thanksgiving's coming up so I can express my gratitude by eating. What a country!

Bellis said...

I'm very happy for you, Mr Earl. Even those of you in Bajadena will find it useful.

I wouldn't look up the Devil's nose -he might sneeze!

Those trout ladders coming out the pond are too steep - no wonder the steelheads stopped migrating up the Arroyo.

Anonymous said...

I'll forgive you as many of the DG photos as you care to take.

Petrea Burchard said...

Sorry about the mess, Vanda.

Thank you, Hiker. Be careful what you wish for.

TheChieftess said...

Fabulous reflection photo Petrea!!!

Congratulations Mr. E!!! You are definitely riding high this month!!!

Susan Campisi said...

A crystal-clear reflection. Very nice.

Good thing you don't believe in the devil. He probably wouldn't appreciate your staring up his nose.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

that is so interesting. It even looks like the devil has an ear

wv: antlers
(like horns)

Petrea Burchard said...

I hope he didn't hear the things I said.

PA, that's weird that you got "antlers."

Amy said...

This is a beautiful photo!

Reflections are something I'm trying to get better about keeping an eye out for.

Petrea Burchard said...

This one kind of jumped up and surprised me.