Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pick One

It sure feels like summer's over. It is over, I guess, with kids back in school. Summer stays late in southern California, but here it is October and I'm lamenting its departure. I'm a glutton that way.

It's been nice, though, to feel the fall chill. Why is fall so nostalgic? I think the word "nostalgic" was invented to describe autumn. My reaction to cloudy skies is to relate them to similar skies of days gone by. When early darkness comes, I remember earlier days that ended too soon.

But I'm being over-dramatic. We have one more day of rain, then tomorrow it'll be sunny again and the weekend will be hot. Maybe I should have saved this picture for Saturday. Or maybe then I'll post gloomy skies and moan that the rain ended too soon.

Do you have a favorite season? Mine's summer. But I do like rain.

15 comments:

USelaine said...

I think mine is Spring, with the new shoots, flowers, and lengthening days.

On another note, congrats on being Petrea of a Thousand Days!

Shell Sherree said...

I'm with USelaine ~ Spring is mine. And guess what we're in now... hooray!

Bergson said...

your shot is too funny

Katie said...

Fun photo! I can just hear a kid upstairs yelling "Mom where are my pink Crocs?" I like Fall, but I was always excited to go back to school.

Latino Heritage said...

Love your summer colors.
Fall. I love the grey skies with a peek from the sun in the afternoon. The smell of hot chocolate and blueberry buckle. It's just cool enough to need to wear a sweater vest, but just warm enough to not need a hat.

irinapictures said...

Many girls live here)
My favorite is May, when it is almost summer and but all the summer is still ahead.

Petrea Burchard said...

Gee, those are all good seasons, too.

Amy said...

My favorite is fall, so I am very happy right now. :)

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Fall. The sun at a slant. The Santa Annas. Buckeye aflame in the late afternoon. Then comes winter and the chance to camp in the desert

J.J. in L.A. said...

I miss summer. I didn't even mind when it was 109 degrees, last week.

Bellis said...

I love Spring when everything's flowering, the hills are green, the streams are full and my dog doesn't give up after the first hundred yards.

Funny that you posted shoes (I bet those girls were having lots of giggly fun up there). I went to buy some new white ones to wear with summer clothes yesterday, as the heat will inevitably return. Not a chance. The shops have decreed it's winter.

Greg Sweet said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HjH1GG3ro

Greg Sweet said...

Strange weather for this time of year. I'm kinda confused about which season this is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

Petrea Burchard said...

I love the light, PA, you're so right. And the desert. You just can't go there in the summer. Then again, I also love having the heat right here, as J.J. says. Can't pick one! They're all good.

And the full streams! Boz is in heaven in spring. Oh Bellis, don't you know? The stores will tell you what season it is, no matter the temperature outside.

Greg: love the Bugs Bunny. Thank you.

Susan Campisi said...

I experienced that fall nostalgia this morning: ah, rainy day - just like it used to be in Seattle.

Fall is my favorite but I certainly appreciate the charms of every season so eloquently expressed in the comments.