Friday, March 5, 2010

Self-Government

The League of Women Voters, Pasadena Area is sponsoring a free public forum tomorrow called Access to Impact: Using Open Government to Create Change. The keynote speaker is a woman named Hedab Tarifi, who was raised in Kuwait and who, according to the press release I read, "knows what it is like to live under a tyranny and closed government." The information goes on to say she "relishes the transparency of government in a democracy. But she also knows citizens need to know how to access information and put it to work to improve their communities."

A panel of experts from media, libraries and government will discuss the challenges and dangers of information gathering.

I put off posting about this because I didn't have the right photo. This is, after all, a photo blog. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I thought I should have a photo of a government building--no, a library--no, a school--no, a courthouse--no--

Then I realized we're talking about transparency in government here. We're talking about democracy and freedom. We're talking about a lack of tyranny and there I was, running around tyrannizing myself. So I banished the little despot and set myself free to post any damn picture I wanted to.

"Access to Impact: Using Open Government to Create Change" is scheduled for Saturday, March 6, from 8:30 a.m. to noon at Neighborhood Church, 301 N. Orange Grove Blvd., Pasadena. The forum is free. An RSVP is requested at 626-798-0965 or lwvpasocialpolicy@gmail.com

Spanish translation will be provided.

Monica Hubbard updates: "Thanks, Petrea. If people call the League office by noon today 626-798-0965 they can get their RSVP in. Or e-mail lwvpasocialpolicy@gmail.com. Should be an interesting morning. "

20 comments:

mark said...

A fine post. Power to the people. The person who affects you the most is your city counsil person. All politics are local.

Anonymous said...

I like the thought process and the photo.

Bellis said...

The dangers of information gathering??? We need to find out about this.

Petrea Burchard said...

I like my city councilman, mark. Maybe I should have taken a picture of the shingles on his house. At least I took the picture in his neighborhood.

Thanks, Hiker. I was fooling around with the camera and I put that on the screen and loved it.

Call now, Bellis. I posted this very late and Monica tells me you need to reserve by noon today.

Unknown said...

I love the post and your photo. You know, art is breaking the rules. The photo works.

Susan C said...

All I can think is, "I'd hate to be the person who scrapes those shingles."

Eleonora Baldwin said...

The picture fits: layered grey and dusty shingles. A perfect metaphor for the topic the public forum will address. Hopefully the shingles will become a crystal clear sheet of transparent freedom.

Have agreat weekend Petrea
Ciao
E xx

Bellis said...

It's a good choice for a photo because from a distance the shingles could be mistaken for tea bags or coffee bags. Have you joined the Coffee Party?

Petrea Burchard said...

Even if the rules are my own, JT.

Ha ha, Susan, maybe no one will have to scrape them.

Thanks, Eleonora, you have a great weekend, too.

Bellis, I'm not a member of any party.

TheChieftess said...

Interesting post and interesting gathering...

In the interest of a transparent government...if anyone here takes supplements, you might want to check out the link below..there apparently is a bill in the Senate re: supplement "safety" (read regulations) which is of concern to a chiropractor friend of mine...check it out...

http://capwiz.com/lef/home/

Cafe Pasadena said...

I'm voting for more self-conrolled, self-governed people...for dogs sake.

pasadenapio said...

I'll be there!

Dina said...

I love the lesson you taught yourself here. I will try to learn from it.

Desiree said...

Tranparency/shingle/political statement. I like it!

bandit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bandit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petrea Burchard said...

He knew it because he had a 'plant' on (or close to) the district council. I've done some union organizing myself, bandit. Your union should have gone to bat for you.

bandit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petrea Burchard said...

I don't have an answer for you, bandit. Wish I did.

bandit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.