Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Apparently, Johnson Rocks

Who is Johnson? How does he rate a field?

Oh, I looked, but I did not find. Much. Besides repeated mentions of Johnson Field ("an inactive spreading basin...used for passive recreational uses"), I found nothing but this interesting LA times article from 1992. The article discusses early plans for Hahamongna Watershed Park and a disagreement about putting soccer fields there. At the end there's a brief mention of Johnson field: "a small baseball field built by city employees for a municipal soccer league." I think he meant it was originally built as a soccer field but by the time of the article it was used more as a baseball field.

The article said all parties agreed the field should be eliminated. It's still there, after a fashion, although they finally stopped watering it this year. Makes sense. Drought + rarely used field - water = savings (or at least common sense).

So I found out that much. But I still don't know who Johnson is, or how he rates a field. Or a rock, for that matter.

16 comments:

Dina said...

I best like what's showing in back of Johnson's Rock.

Shell Sherree said...

Hmm. How curious!

Sahildeki Ev said...

I think Pasadena loves her Johnsons :))

Cindy said...

I giggled like a 12 year old at the last picture and at Dina's comment! Naughty girl.

Becky said...

Curiouser and curiouser!

Cafe Observer said...

Who is Johnson??? P, you better ask your J+p guy. He should be able, and happy, to also tell you about Johnson's rocks.

Laurie Allee said...

I guess Johnson really liked that rock.

Pascal Jim said...

Pasadena PIO should examine City Records. Believe Johnson was a long time City employee....

Margaret said...

Hey, is that Boz in the background?

Petrea Burchard said...

I could ask the PIO (I thought of doing so) and I'd be flooding her email on a regular basis if I didn't know she's a busy woman. Maybe she'll amble by later if she gets a chance today.

Yes, that's Boz and one of his humans, taking a break from a hot walk on a hot day. It's a dirty job, but it must be done.

Virginia said...

I'm going out and get me BIG rock and stencil my name on it!
V

Greg Sweet said...

I am ashamed of myself for not knowing this esoteric bit of trivia. It could be a joke. Many place names in the San Gabriels have started that way, like Mt. Disappointment.

I made a map of Big Santa Anita Canyon about four years ago with my own names for unnamed landmarks and they are starting to stick.

TheChieftess said...

Johnson was actually the only municipal employee who was involved in the development of this soccer/baseball field and who could pronounce Hahamongna...

Cafe Pasadena said...

That's a great map of BSAC, Sweet Greg! Thanks for your effort.

Anonymous said...

A reminder that our favorite bridge (Colorado Street Bridge) will be featured in CBS's Mentalist that airs tomorrow at 10pm on Channel 2.

Petrea Burchard said...

Maybe that's what I'll do with some of the rocks in my yard, Virginia.

Thanks for the map, Greg, very cool. John and I have our own names for different points on the Sam Merrill trail, too.

Hi Chieftess, you must be right. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Thank you, anonymous. A reason to watch TV.