Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Swinging to the Bard

Is it already Wednesday? I'm still telling you about my weekend.

On Sunday I crossed over into Laurie's turf and caught the last of this year's free concerts in South Pasadena's lovely Garfield Park. My neighbors had been taking their kids every week this summer and I didn't want to miss my last chance.

The crowd really enjoyed the Irish folk band, Wake the Bard. The music had folks dancing, especially the kids.

When you're in South Pasadena in a park on a summer evening and there's live music and food and kids all over the place, you walk slower, if you walk at all. You might lie on a blanket or on the grass, or put your head in your lover's lap. If you need to prop yourself up to see anything you do so on your elbows. If anyone mentions work you don't understand a word they're saying.

My choice of black & white for this photo was easy: it's a tribute to Laurie's depiction of last year's final concert.

14 comments:

Dina said...

What a great and happy shot!

You transport me back to hearing concerts on the grass as a teenager in Grant Park.

Shell Sherree said...

Yes, that is a beauty, Petrea! It has a timelessness about it...

Italo said...

Ciao Petrea, I miss to be taken like these children. I would like to fly a little bit, but.. now I'm too heavy and to high :(.
It's amazing how time stops in these moments, in the parks. Very nice moment.

Petrea Burchard said...

My friends kept remarking that it seemed like we couldn't be anywhere near Los Angeles, we must be in a small town somewhere in the Midwest. South Pasadena does have that kind of feeling.

When do you suppose was the last time you were in Grant Park, Dina? It's changed a lot. Still a fantastic park.

Margaret said...

I dropped off cupcakes for the Girl Scout booth. Hope you had some.

Petrea Burchard said...

We got the last of the cookies, Margaret. Does that count?

Virginia said...

Oh you caught that magical moment just perfectly Petrea! My hat's off to ya. I am still smiling.
V

Katie said...

Such a wonderful summer photo. Reminds me of all the times I demanded of my parents to "Swing me!" when I was a kid. Looks like a fun time was had by all.

Ms M said...

That's a fun photo, perfect depiction of wonderful a summer.

Petrea Burchard said...

I remember when I got too big. It broke my heart when my parents began to tell me I was too big to carry, too big for them to swing, etc. It's fun to be a little kid!

Dina said...

I was last in America about 4 or 5 years ago so I did get to see the Bean. All the new buildings along the Chicago River were fabulous.
But watching the night lights change on the rising and falling water spouts of Buckingham Fountain will always be a part of my childhood.

Should I try to get a picture of me swinging Lara the Cat? :)

Lisa..... said...

I love it. It captures what it is that people love about summer.

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, Lisa.

Dina, I don't know if you should do that. Do you have room to swing a cat?

Laurie Allee said...

How did I miss this post?! Wonderful capture, P. This really captures the spirit of the concerts in the park.

Thanks for the lovely shout-out, too!