Friday, May 1, 2009

Theme Day: Shadows

I've noticed this shadow many times, but hadn't thought of it for theme day until I drove by a couple of days ago. I like how the brick has faded, showing traces of what used to be.

The sign on the door directs you down the street to the main building of Villa Esperanza Services, a school, adult day care facility, support group and endless resource for people with developmental disabilities and their families. The facility takes up more than a city block along Villa street just west of Craig. I found the website inspiring. Take a look.

To see how City Daily Photo Bloggers around the world have interpreted the theme today, Click here to view thumbnails for all participants.

15 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

Good pic, P.
Looks familiar. I've probably driven by it as well.

Nobody knows much of what goes on behind all these closed doors. But, we're usually surprised when we find out.

USelaine said...

I love it - super creative take on Shadows. They did a nice job on that floral arch.

Dina said...

There is something wonderfully eerie about this shadow you found.

Ken Mac said...

hi petrea, thanks for visiting my site. I like your shots! and the church is coming....thanks for asking...

Virginia said...

Yep, they ripped that nice pediment ( I think that's what it's called) off in favor of the plain little door. Then after looking at it decided it needed a little something and started the vine. It works I guess. Vedy vedy clever shadow entry, P.
V

Jilly said...

What a pretty door and climber over the door and a gentle shadow too.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm sure you have, Cafe. I drive by it on the way to the Vet and it would be on your route to the pool at I Dig My Dog.

Now that I think about it, Virginia, I wonder how "pediment" and "impediment" got related.

Margaret said...

Very nice shot. All the shots are lovely. I think theme day is brilliant.

Petrea Burchard said...

Hi Margaret. I like theme day, too. I like having an assignment of sorts.

John Sandel said...

… ghost architecture …

marley said...

Very nice theme day photo. Makes me think of somewhere to avoid the suns rays :)

Tash said...

Awgh (that's a sound of my own making). The way it was. I ditto that this is the most creative Shadow TD post.

Tash said...

"Shadows of things past" (kind of a catchy title, n'est pas?)

Shell Sherree said...

Sorry this is rather late, but I thought I left a comment. I must not have finished submitting it {possibly due to being a bit dazed by Eric's shadow post}. Anyhow, I just wanted to say it's a lovely shot, Petrea, with the pretty flowering archway, and I don't think I've ever seen that kind of 'Ghost of Architectural Features Past' effect before.

Keith said...

An interesting, out of the ordinary take on the theme. I like that the theme photo can also promote a worthwhile business.