Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Never Too Old to be Hot

In contrast to yesterday's post, here's a shiny 1937 Chevy pick-up I saw at the Farmer's Market a couple of weeks ago. I'm no expert; the only reason I know it's a 1937 is because it says so on the special license plate designating this as an antique vehicle.

Good or bad, cars are part of southern California life. If you believe the tale told in the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the driving lifestyle was a conspiracy forced onto this region. Now, in the face of diminishing oil reserves and rising prices, we're scrambling to build a public transportation infrastructure that can support our urban sprawl. But contrary to what yesterday's post might have you believe, we do love our cars. Our hot, dry weather facilitates a long and happy life for a well-kept antique.

Speaking of which: a self-portrait.

18 comments:

Laurie Allee said...

I really love your tiny image in that shiny wheel cover. WHat a metaphor for life in the car culture.

I know I shouldn't, I really shouldn't, I mean, it's just mode of transportation and cars are so unenlightened and corrupting and toxic and perpetuating of class separatism and ultimately soooooo last century...

...but I COVET THAT CAR!

Anonymous said...

P, is that a gas fueled car by chance?

Do they still sell your camera?

Laurie & you must be professional photogs, I'm sure!

John Sandel said...

Yeah, and how's that hat doin?

ginab said...

I like the meta-image in the fender.

Jim Klenke said...

I would be afraid to drive it. It sure looks nice.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is my kinda car. Love it and love the way you have shown it.

marley said...

What a beauty! Thats what you call a car. Thanks for sharing.

I liked the self potrait too :)

Petrea Burchard said...

This is the place for coveting cars, is it not, Laurie? Lots of shiny beauties.

I don't know, Mike. I only photographed it. As for the camera, I bought it in 2004. It's an Olympus SP350. There's probably an updated version on the market. Professional? Working on it!

Bernie, I had just read an article about skin cancer so I bought a wide-brimmed hat. I shall wear it on private property from now on.

Thanks, ginab. I like it, too.

Katie said...

What a sweet looking car! I especially like the close-up with self portrait.

Ms M said...

Nice shots! And I love your self-portrait in the hub cap :)

Jill said...

I can't imagine that car looked as good as it does now when it was rolled off the line. Wonderful shots.

Marie Reed said...

Holy vintage car batman! This is a beaut!

Petrea Burchard said...

Ha! I think Jill is right, it's probably prettier now than it ever was. I googled "1937 Chevy" and found some old beaters, but nothing like this.

Virginia said...

I read your title and laughed and wished someone would say that to moi!:) i love your red car. I am having a secret love affair with an old shiny red pickup down the street. Shhhh, don't tell anybody.

Petrea Burchard said...

Virginia, sometimes I just say it to myself.

Louis la Vache said...

hehehe
For someone who professes not to be an old car nut, you sure post some fantastic photos of old cars!

Speaking of which...

Petrea Burchard said...

It's easy, Louis, because there are so many beauties around here to shoot.

Eki said...

This is trully a lovely car, Petrea! And it's red! Lovely and very eye-catching.