Friday, February 15, 2008

A Sight for Sore Eyes

Oh, you've just got to click on this picture and look at it close up. Pasadenans will recognize this right away.

This is the façade of Linden Optometry on Colorado Blvd., a sprawling frame and lens store. Once you've had your eyes checked, you can select from a seemingly endless selection of frames. They do a huge business, garnering mixed reviews. I'd give them a good review. My husband and I have been there twice and gotten good service both times. Regardless of what's inside, the exterior of the building is a stunner.

I haven't been able to find any history of this building online, although I'm sure there's plenty of information about it at perhaps Pasadena Heritage, or some other worthy organization. If we're lucky, City Spokeschick will check in. She knows everything.

A bit of an afterthought: It helps to put it in full context.

7 comments:

Uma por Dia said...

Very beautiful indeed!

Holly Hight said...

I walk by this store every day on my way to work and I've never noticed the beautiful design work. Thanks for "opening" my eyes! =) It's lovely.

marley said...

Wow! That is really lovely.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I wonder how much of this kind of "detail" has been lost to the mega developments Pasadena is lining Colorado blvd with? When your walking, look down at the purple glass circles that allow light into the basements of these older structures. Good Post!

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, everyone.

Good question, Palm. Pasadena puts emphasis on preservation, but there must be some loss when new buildings go up. Is there a balance?

I love those glass circles. I'll see if I can get a good shot of one for the blog.

Anonymous said...

That building is called the Warner building, from architects Marston and Maybury, and was built in 1927. This is courtesy of the Guide to Architecture in Los Angeles and Southern California by Gebhard and Winter.

When the Disabled American Veterans thrift store was torn down for the Western Asset building, they preserved one of the walls (also art deco), but you have to walk into their courtyard to see it.

Nick

Petrea Burchard said...

Nick! Thanks, this is great info. I found a little more with Google, thanks to you. Now I know this is considered a good example of Art Deco architecture, and that Jess Stanton (of Marston & Maybury, as you said) was the designer. Another site said the wild stonework in the photo is terra cotta. Seems hard to believe, but there you have it.

Now I'm going to go follow your lead about the Western Asset Bldg.