Monday, January 28, 2008

Known for Our Architecture

It might surprise you to learn that across the street from this gem is a lovely, new-looking church. You might also be surprised that this "building" is on the main drag, Colorado Blvd. Yep. Rose Parade route. Bet the TV cameras missed this view. (Double-click to look at the posters close-up. Cigarette packs with sharks!)

From the looks of the lot, soon this will all be a memory. The empty house behind it is enclosed by the same chain-link. It appears a tear-down's a-comin'.

Pasadenans would say this photo's not fair. They'd be right. In recompense, I promise to put up a shot of at least one gorgeous local building this week.

6 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

While the building is probably coming down,I like to think of the history that it could have had. Could it have been a gas station in the 40s or 50? Maybe changed to a 5 and dime in the 60s or 70s. At least you got a shot of it before its gone.

Petrea Burchard said...

Probably a gas station. There's a lot of pavement in front of the place, and a boarded-up repair shop next door.

Cities change, I guess. Pasadena's a champion at recycling old buildings, though. Our Old Town is gorgeous. Stay tuned.

Pat said...

Great history in this shot I'm sure, Jim. Thanks for sharing, petrea!



I would certainly appreciate your posting a condolence message in my blogs today for the wife of a good blogger friend...

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo, My Photos

Anonymous said...

It was a used car lot before its current condition.

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, anon. If you check back here: Do you happen to know how long it's been fenced like it is now?

Anonymous said...

I don't remember when it vacated as a car lot, but I assumed the church next door bought the lot when they started building the church, for more parking. The church has a school behind it that people park at on Sunday, but I'd bet they need more.